A Sunny Character
Sunshine is a spectacular Freedom 30/32 offered for sale at $45,000.
She’s roomy, easy to maintain, and inexpensive to run. The Freedom rig – with freestanding mast, and self-tending jib – makes her extremely easy to sail as well. She has plenty of space for two adults and a spare room for guests. If you’re looking to downsize, or like the idea of tiny house living, she’s perfect. The best tiny house is a boat. You can live small and travel all the coastlines of the world.
Sunshine’s pedigree is first-rate. She was designed by naval architect Gary Mull, designer of America’s Cup contender, Stars and Stripes. She was built in 1986 by Tillotson/Pearson, a very well-respected yard in Warren, Rhode Island which also built the J series of racing sailboats.
All additions and upgrades are extremely well thought out for liveaboard use and professionally executed.
Sunshine is a clean, modern vessel with a white hull, dove gray non-skid decks, aluminum toe rails, and stainless steel stanchions. Teak touches at handrails, companionway, and stern rail give a nod to tradition.
Her two-foot transom extension, which converted her from a 30 to a 32, was added in the Tillotson Pearson yard. The first of its kind, this modification proved very popular and became an option for all Freedom 30’s and 36’s. Later it was incorporated into the design of the Freedom 35, 38, 40/40, and 45 aft cockpit models. However, Sunshine’s transom is unique even among upgraded Freedoms, as it has a walk-through from the cockpit to the swim platform. This ahead-of-her-time feature increases her utility and livability exponentially.
Sunshine’s mainsail cover, jib cover, and bimini are Sunbrella in Captain’s Navy. Cockpit cushions are Sunbrella Granite with quick-dry foam.
Take a look inside.
You’d never guess a 32 foot boat could be so spacious. Bright teak and light ceilings, curtains and upholstery increase the airy, sun-filled feeling. Plenty of LED lighting makes her bright at night too.
Lockers have been professionally upgraded to increase storage, enhance livability, and make access for working on important systems easier.
- Beautiful, varnished teak paneling and trim for a cozy, traditional feel.
- Port and starboard settees with Brisa, Ultraleather cushions
- Fold-down teak double leaf table
- Teak and holly cabin sole
- Customized port and starboard lockers with increased storage capacity
- Custom tongue and groove headliners in salon
- Sleek, aluminum opening portlights with screens
- Custom insulated vinyl replaces all monkey fur in berths, head, and lockers
- Custom teak LED downlights
- Custom teak curtain tracks. Linen-like curtains with blackout lining.
- Cabin fan
- The two hanging lockers have added shelves that can be removed to convert back to hanging
Little but mighty. Sunshine’s galley has everything you need to create great meals.
- 8 cubic foot icebox cooled by Adler Barbour Cold Machine with freezer compartment
- 2 burner gimballed Origo alcohol range with oven
- Deep, stainless steel single basin sink near the centerline
- Stainless steel, high arched faucet for easy pot filling and dishwashing
- Built-in teak knife block holds knives safely regardless of weather or heeling angle
- Custom under sink locker with removable shelf for easy access to water heater and plumbing
- Custom locker built into cockpit combing back for extra storage space
- Custom sink cover/cutting board extends counter space
- Customized cabinet under chart table for pots and pans
- Custom latch holds icebox lid up to avoid smashed fingers and headaches
Lots of beautiful and clever additions make life aboard a pleasure.
- LOA: 29′ 11 1/2″ With her custom swim step Sunshine is 31′ 11 1/2″ overall
- LWL: 25′ 5″
- Beam: 10′ 9″
- Draft: 4′ 6″
- Mast Height Above Water: 46′ 0″
- Headroom: 6′ 3″
- Displacement: 7,660 lbs
- Lead Ballast: 3,150 lbs
The engine is quite accessible from both front and back, but the step above has been rebuilt to be removeable, making access even better.
- Engine: Yanmar 2GM20F 2 cyl 18 HP Fresh water-cooled diesel
- Alternator: Balmar High Power
- Three-blade propeller
- Raymarine ST60 Speed, Temperature, Depth
- Standard Horizon VHF radio at chart table with remote mic connection at helm
- Tablet mount and USB power connection for Navionics charting
A lot of attention has been paid to making sure Sunshine’s power system is clean, elegant and accessible.
- Solar: Sunpower 320 amp panel
- Controller: Victron Smart Controller
- Batteries: 4 6 volt golf cart in series
- Custom fiberglass battery case
- New tinned copper wiring throughout
- Charger: Trucharge 40+ battery charger
- Tank: 50 gal polyethylene
- Hot Water Heater: 6 gal
- Pump: 3 GPM
- PEX supply lines
Sails and Rigging:
- Main sail 348 SF – Haarstick
- Self-tending 137 SF jib and camber spar – Haarstick
- Balooner Spinnaker
- Running rigging
- Jib stay
- Jib topping lift
- Hall Spars Quick Vang rigid boom vang
Ease of Maintenance:
Several sections of the hull that are often tough to keep clean have been sanded smooth, and painted white. The bilge, under the fuel tank, and the holding tank lockers in particular. Hoses and wires are kept neatly out of the way for easy access.
- Rocna 15 Anchor with 25 feet 3/8″ chain and 250 feet of 5/8″ rode
- Fortress X Anchor with 200 feet 1/2″ rode
- Magma Kettle Grill
- Drinking water hose
- Shore power cord
- Electronic Flare
- Standard Flares
- Fire extinguishers
- Spares and additional hardware
- Spare Trident Marine shaft seal
- Spare cut-less bearing
- Spare water pump
- The bottom has 5 coats of Interlux, Inter-Protect, alternated between gray and white.
- Antifouling is West Marine PSA and was last painted in 2018. Paint will be needed.
- As with any boat, further upgrades, repairs and maintenance will be required.
- Interior and Exterior photos taken Spring 2021. Sailing photos are earlier.
- No dinghy is included.
Reviews of Freedom 30:
Also featured in Ferenc Mate’s Worlds Best Sailboats.